Here are six demographic trends, as reported by the Pew Research Center, you need to know about. Being aware of this data can help you understand important audience characteristics and shape more effective marketing programs.
- The largest adult generation in the U.S. is now the Millennials, just slightly outnumbering Baby Boomers this year. Generation Z is entering adulthood; this generation will be the best educated and most diverse generation yet -- almost half (48 percent) are racial or ethnic minorities.
- Hispanics are projected to become the largest minority group in the 2020 elections, with 32 million eligible voters vs. 30 million eligible voters for African-Americans.
- The American family is undergoing fundamental change. Among parents living with a child, 25 percent of them were unmarried in 2017. The share of U.S. children living with an unmarried parent reached 32 percent in 2017.
- The immigrant share of the U.S. population is approaching a record high: 44 million foreign-born people living in the U.S. in 2017 accounted for 13.6 percent of the population, the highest share since 1910.
- The U.S. unauthorized immigrant population is at its lowest level in more than a decade. There were 10.7 million unauthorized immigrants living in the U.S. in 2016, the lowest total since 2004.
- Incomes are rising in the U.S., but not equally. While household income is at or near the highest level it has been in 50 years, income inequality continues to grow. The share of Americans who are in the middle class has fallen over the last several decades. About half (52 percent) of adults were considered middle class in 2016.
This post is brought to you by 123eGuides.com. 123 eGuides are a series of authoritative guides about branding, marketing and small business published exclusively in electronic format to provide maximum value at minimum cost.